As winter settles and spring makes its debut you can always count on the flowers blooming, spring showers, and active thunderstorms. For most people, spring is a welcomed change from the chill of winter. School- aged children look forward to spring break, gardeners look forward to planting, and everyone enjoys the warmer weather and sunny days. But for a preschooler, the joy of spring can be overshadowed by the fear of thunderstorms. For a young child (and some older children as well), a thunderstorm can be scary with weather warnings, alarming forecasts, gusting winds, and roaring thunder.
Here are 8 tips to your help your preschooler overcome a fear of thunderstorms:
- Help your child understand the benefits of rain and the science behind a thunderstorm. Weather Wiz Kids is an excellent source of learning for preschoolers.
- Play a game to count the seconds after lightening to expect the sound of thunder.
- Monitor the weather forecasts that your child watches, especially when the warnings create fear in your child. Of course you need to know what to expect and how to prepare but seek to assure your child that your family is safe and secure.
- Enjoy some fun activities and crafts for meteorologists.
- Discuss weather and thunderstorm safety with your child.
- Plant flowers together and help your child understand and see the benefits of rain as your plants grow and bloom.
- When you have bad weather, comfort your child and look for activities to create a distraction from the noise.
- Plan ahead when you know a storm is coming. Talk about what to expect and remind your child of the many benefits of rain and the safety that shelter provides.
A preschooler’s fear can be very real, even when the adult is not affected. Try to sympathize with your child while offering comfort and assurance that thunderstorms are a normal part of the weather experience. Always look for ways to create a learning experience that is fun and engaging.
At Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academies, we are committed to making learning fun and using diverse learning strategies. That’s why we designed our Learning Academies with approximately 17,000 square feet including 11 classroom suites, a cafeteria, a large activity gym for after school students, and 5 large outdoor play areas separated for age groups. Feel free to contact us to learn more about our many ways to help children learn in our safe and secure environment.
About Kids ‘R’ Kids®
Headquartered in the North Atlanta suburb of Duluth, GA, Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academies® provide secure, nurturing, and educational environment for children (ages 6 weeks – 12 years). We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. With over 160 locations in 15 states, Kids ‘R’ Kids International® is a family owned and operated organization that ranks in the top 10 nationwide for franchised early childhood education centers. Find a location near Atlanta (www.kidsrkidsatlanta.com).